What can I recycle in Seattle?
If you can’t reduce, recycle!
The following materials are accepted in your recycling cart. All containers must be clean and empty.
Recyclable Materials List
- Cardboard (flattened)
- Office paper, including windowed envelopes, color paper, and file folders
- Mail, magazines, mixed paper
- Paper bags
- Paper cups
- Phone books & paperback books
- Wrapping paper (non-metallic)
- Paper cartons
- Juice boxes, Tetra Paks & aseptic containers
- Milk and soy milk cartons
- Paper or frozen food boxes
- Bottles (all colors and numbers)
- Food containers and trays
- Clear or colored plastic milk jugs
- Dairy tubs
- Pill bottles (no prescription vials)
- Plastic cups
- Lids (3 inches or wider)
- Plastic plant pots
- Plastic buckets
- PVC pipe (white only)
- Household rigid plastic items such as furniture, and laundry baskets
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum foil & pie tins (clean)
- Tin cans
- Ferrous scrap metal
- Other scrap metals (less than 2’ x 2’ x 2’)
More information about what goes where is available using Seattle’s Where Does It Go tool.