SB1383 is new legislation that requires all residents and businesses to divert organic material away from the landfill. As of January 1st, 2022 you are now required to compost. This bill is in response to the climate crisis. By reducing the amount of organic material sent to the landfill, you are reducing greenhouse gases that exacerbate climate change.
How to use your compost pail:
- Keep your compost kitchen pail in a convenient location such as your counter, under the sink, or in the freezer. Use it to collect food scraps and any food-soiled paper.
- Empty your pail into your green bin outside
- Recology will haul your green waste material away and turn it into compost!
Tips To Prevent Odors:
- Line your pail with newspaper or paper bags (“compostable” & regular plastic bags are not accepted in residential carts)
- Empty pail regularly and rinse with soap (dishwasher safe) and water weekly to minimize buildup and smells.
- Freeze spoiled foods until collection day
- Pests will not be an issue as long as you regularly empty and clean your kitchen pail and keep your green bin outside closed.
What can be Composted:
Food scraps, food-soiled paper, and yard trimmings can be placed in the compost bin. Please use our Organics Guide or Recology.com/Recology-Vallejo/What-Bin to find out if an item belongs in your green bin.