Compost, Recycle, & Landfill - Recology South Valley: Gilroy
California Cont.
Compost, Recycle, & Landfill

Organics, Recycle, Garbage Curbside Collection

Recology South Valley provides materials collection services to residents and businesses in Gilroy – services and rates are based on the size of your garbage cart (contact us for rates). Organics, recycle and garbage carts are collected weekly.


Food scraps, food-soiled paper (ex. greasy pizza box, napkins, or uncoated paper plates), and yard trimmings, such as leaves, grass clippings, and branches go in your 96-gallon green organics cart. We recommend using newspaper or paper bags to collect food scraps indoors and then transfer them to your curbside cart.  Please do not use plastic bags to collect or transfer food waste or organics!


Paper, bottles, cans, aluminum, glass bottles and jars, and plastic containers (#1-7) belong in your 64-gallon blue recycling cart. These items are then sorted by material type and recycled. Plastic bags and film are not accepted in the recycle program. Place recyclable items loose in your cart- do not use plastic bags.

To learn more about what is recyclable, please download our educational guides.


Non-recyclable plastics (single-use plastic bags, saran wrap, and pet food bags), cat litter, ceramics, StyrofoamTM, diapers, and other non-recyclables or non-compostables can be tossed in your gray garbage cart. Residential customers choose the size of the cart they need; 32-gallon, 64-gallon, or 96-gallon. If you periodically have extra garbage, use your extra bag tag.  Contact our Customer Service team to manage extra garbage.


Set up or change service

Cart Placement

Recycling is collected with a fully automated truck that uses a mechanical arm to retrieve the cart and place it back on your curb. Using the fully automated system makes the placement of the carts more important than ever – the mechanical arm needs to be able to grab a cart without touching the other carts.

Americans with Disabilities Act
Disabled residents (pursuant to Americans with Disabilities Act) who are unable to place their containers at the curb have the option of placing their containers beside their home, visible from curbside. Contact Customer Service for more information.

Cart Sizes


  • 32-gallon
  • 64-gallon
  • 96-gallon       


  • 64-gallon


  • 96-gallon

Where Does it Go?

After garbage is dropped off at the San Martin Transfer Station, it is transported to a landfill.  Recyclables such as paper, cardboard, cans, bottles, and metal are sent to a Material Recovery Facility (MRF).  This facility sorts, bales, and then sells the material so it can be recycled and made into new products.  Clean yard waste is transported to South Valley Organics, a compost facility located at the Pacheco Pass Landfill in Gilroy.  This facility processes yard waste into compost.