Hazardous Waste - Recology Del Norte
California Cont.
Hazardous Waste

It is illegal to put items such as electronics, batteries, fluorescent bulbs, pesticides, and other chemicals in the trash. When household hazardous wastes end up in a landfill, they can cause serious threats to humans, wildlife and the environment.

Businesses with hazardous waste should contact Del Norte Solid Waste Management Authority to learn about the common examples of hazardous waste and how to legally, safely and properly dispose of these items.


Residents and businesses may drop off items at the Del Norte County Transfer Station.

Household Hazardous Waste items may include:

  • Aerosol Cans
  • Antifreeze
  • Automotive
  • Batteries
  • Bleach
  • Chlorine
  • Cooking oil
  • Drain cleaner
  • Fertilizer
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Floor stripper
  • Fluorescent lamps
  • Garden chemicals
  • Gasoline
  • Glues
  • Household batteries
  • Household cleaners
  • Hydraulic fluid
  • Insect sprays
  • Mercury Waste
  • Motor oil
  • Oily rags
  • Paint products
  • Paint stripper
  • Paint thinner
  • Polishes
  • Pool chemicals
  • Pressurized cylinders
  • Printer/toner cartridges
  • Rust remover
  • Sharps in Containers
  • Smoke detectors
  • Thermometers
  • Tile cleaners
  • Tile remover
  • Transmission fluid
  • Used oil filters
  • Waxes
  • Weed killers
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Wood preservative




When medications are disposed of in the trash or down the drain, they can find their way into our waterways and negatively impact frogs, fish and other aquatic life.

Drop Off
Drop off medications for safe handling at the Del Norte County Sheriff’s office. Call 707-464-4191 for information on drop off times.



All sharps waste must be transported to the Del Norte County Transfer Station in an approved sharps container. Home-generated sharps waste includes hypodermic needles, syringes and lancets that are used for medical purposes.

FDA-approved sharps containers are sold at:

  • Crescent Hay & Feed, 160 Elk Valley Road, Crescent City, CA
    (707) 464-6444
  • Parkway Feed, 1645 Parkway Drive, Crescent City, CA
    (707) 464-6873
  • Walgreens, 787 L Street, Crescent City, CA
    (707) 464-3674
  • Wal-Mart, 900 E Washington Blvd., Crescent City, CA
    (707) 464-1452
  • All Creatures Animal Hospital, 1380 Northcrest Dr., Crescent City, CA
    (707) 464-7448

Mail-Back Service:
Visit CalRecycle for a list of companies that are authorized to provide sharps waste mail-back services in California.

Pre-paid Mail-back sharps containers can be ordered from:


CA Integrated Waste Management Board Information Line
(800) 553-2962
Department of Toxic Substances Control
(to report hazardous waste violations only)

(800) 698-6942

Poison Control Center
(800) 876-4766

California Poison Action Line
(800) 222-1222

ASPCA (Animal Poison Control Hotline)
(888) 426-4435

Del Norte Humane Society
(650) 340-8200

Still have questions about hazardous waste?

To find out more about discarding and disposing of other house hold hazardous waste, you can call Del Norte Solid Waste Management Authority about the Household Hazardous Waste Program.

Del Norte Solid Waste Management Authority
1700 State St., Crescent City, CA 95531
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Phone: (707) 465-1100 – Fax: (707) 465-1300