FAQ - Recology King County: Maple Valley
California Cont.



Find the answers to some of our most commonly asked questions by selecting a category below.

If you’re unable to locate an answer, contact us and we’ll be happy to help.




Tips & Guidelines
Did you know food scraps, uncoated food-soiled paper, and yard waste can be composted into a nutrient-rich soil amendment? Finished compost creates a valuable product used in parks and gardens. Approximately 30% of all material that ends up in the landfill could have been composted instead. When you keep food scraps, food-soiled paper and yard waste separate from your garbage, you extend the life of our landfills and conserve resources.

Food & yard waste collection is included with your residential garbage subscription for a low monthly fee. Food & yard waste is collected every-other-week on the same day as your garbage collection. To sign up for service, submit a Modify Service Form or call Recology CleanScapes at 425.413.1555.

Materials Collected

Put these types of materials in your food and yard waste cart:

Food scraps

  • Fruits, vegetables
  • Bread, pasta, grains
  • Eggshells, nutshells
  • Fish, meat, dairy
  • Shells, bones
  • Coffee grounds and filters
  • Tea bags

Food-soiled paper

  • Paper towels and napkins
  • Uncoated paper plates and cups
  • Uncoated paper take-out cartons
  • Pizza delivery boxes
  • Paper bags containing food scraps

Yard debris

      • Grass clippings
      • Leaves, twigs
      • Weeds
      • Houseplants
      • Branches (under 4′ long, 4″ wide)


DO NOT place these items in your food and yard waste cart:
  • Glass
  • Animal or human waste
  • Pet litter
  • Diapers
  • Plastic
  • StyrofoamTM
  • Foil
  • Hazardous waste
  • Soil
  • Rocks
  • Stumps/limbs (over 4′ long, 4″ wide)
  • Lumber or fencing
  • Painted or treated wood
  • Metal

Download the Food and Yard Waste Poster


Watch the Kitchen Composting 101 video below for tips

More videos from King County: Love Your Leftovers | Shop Smart | Store It Right




If you can’t reduce, recycle!
If you have more materials to recycle than will fit in your cart, put them in a cardboard box (2′ x 2′ x 2′ or smaller) next to your cart.

The following materials are accepted in your recycling cart. All containers must be clean and empty.

Recyclable Materials List

  • Cardboard (flattened)
  • Office paper, including windowed envelopes, color paper, and file folders
  • Mail, magazines, mixed paper
  • Newspaper
  • Paper bags
  • Paper cups
  • Phone books & paperback books
  • Wrapping paper (non-metalic)
  • Paper cartons
  • Juice boxes, Tetra Paks & aseptic containers
  • Milk and soy milk cartons
  • Paper or frozen food boxes
  • Bottles (all colors and numbers)
  • Food containers and trays
  • Clear or colored plastic milk jugs
  • Dairy tubs
  • Pill bottles (no prescription vials)
  • Plastic cups
  • Lids (3 inches or wider)
  • Plastic plant pots
  • Plastic buckets
  • PVC pipe (white only)
  • Household rigid plastic items such as furniture, and laundry baskets
  • Aluminum cans
  • Aluminum foil & pie tins (clean)
  • Tin cans
  • Ferrous scrap metal
  • Other scrap metals (less than 2’ x 2’ x 2’)
  • Bottles
  • Jars

For items that are recyclable but require special handling, please see the Specialty Items page. 

Download the Recycling Poster





Curbside Collection
Recology CleanScapes offers a curbside Special Item Recycling program for the following household hazardous waste items:

  • Fluorescent tubes & bulbs
  • Household batteries
  • Used motor oil
  • Used cooking oil

Please place items next to or on top (not inside) cart. Contact customer service or visit the Special Item Recycling page for set out instructions and to request a pickup.

Drop Off
All other hazardous waste can be dropped off at King County Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Centers. For more information call the King County Hazardous Waste Hotline 206-296-4692 or 1-888-TOXIC-ED (869-4233).

For comprehensive hazardous waste disposal information, call King County’s Local Hazardous Waste Management Program at 206-296-4692 or visit www.HazWasteHelp.org.

Download the Small Business Hazardous Waste Disposal flyer.

PaintPlease follow these instructions when disposing of latex paint cans:

Metal cans or plastic buckets containing latex paint must be dried out and then put in the garbage. Cans or buckets containing wet paint are NOT allowed in the garbage.

  • To dry out small amounts of latex paint (less than 1-inch), leave the lid off for several days until the contents are dry.
  • To dry out large amounts of latex paint or to dry it quickly, mix 50/50 with kitty litter or a commercial paint hardener such as “Waste Away.” Allow the mixture to dry in the can.
  • Put dried out paint cans in your garbage with the lid off so drivers can see that the can contains only dried paint.

Please follow these instructions when disposing of oil-based paint cans:

Motor Oil

Recology CleanScapes will collect empty, small, disposable, camping-style propane cylinders or cans when pick up is requested. Please submit a Special Item Recycling Request or call 425.413.1555 to request collection. Residential customers may also drop off empty camping-style cylinders at The Recology Store Issaquah.

We do not accept propane tanks. If you have refillable propane tanks for your barbeque, make sure to reuse them or drop them off at a certified take-back facility. You can find local facilities by searching online.

Single-family Residential Customers:
Recology CleanScapes provides free curbside collection of motor oil for single-family residential customers.

Please fill out a Special Item Recycling Collection Form by selecting your city below to let us know you’d like a pick-up:

Des Moines
Maple Valley

Motor oil must be:

  • Free from contaminants.
  • Sealed in a leak-free, clear plastic jug with screw-top lid.
  • Labeled with name and address.
  • Placed next to recycle cart on your collection day.
  • Limited to 3 gallons per collection.

For businesses and apartment customers, or to dispose of quantities greater than 3 gallons, please see Hazardous Waste Drop-off Centers.

MedicationsUnused medicines are not prohibited from the garbage but there are better ways to dispose of them.

Medicines flushed down the toilet add unwanted contaminants to surface water bodies and marine habitats. Medicines put in your garbage may be found and accidentally consumed by children or pets, or resold illegally.

Visit the Take Back Your Meds website for locations of drop-off centers.

Maple Valley residents can safely dispose of unused or expired prescription drugs in the Drug Drop-Off Box located in the lobby of the Maple Valley Police Department at 22017 SE Wax Rd., #100, Maple Valley, WA 98038. Drop-off times are Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm, excluding holidays. Controlled substances are among the items accepted for drop-off. Items that are not accepted include over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, needles, and used Epipens. Contact the Maple Valley Police Department at 425.413.5158 if you have any questions.

Hazardous waste items are NOT allowed in the garbage. For information on disposing hazardous wastes from your business, please visit the King County Hazardous Waste websiteFind out if your small business is eligible to receive free hazardous waste disposal.  Find additional information on the flyer below.

Download the Small Business Hazardous Waste Disposal flyer.

Recology CleanScapes provides free on-call collection of fluorescent tubes and bulbs (CFLs) for residential customers. Call our customer service team to arrange a pick-up of these materials. For commercial, apartment and condominium customers, service must be requested by the bill payer on record.

Fluorescent lights contain small amounts of hazardous substances and must be recycled separately from all other recyclables. Please DO NOT put them inside your recycling cart.

Please follow these instructions to recycle fluorescent tubes and bulbs:

  • Schedule a Special Item Recycling Collection:
    Des Moines
    Maple Valley
  • Wrap tubes in several layers of newspaper, secure with tape.
  • Put bulbs in plastic bag tied closed (or Ziploc® style bag).
  • Set bulbs on top of recycle cart (not inside).
  • Place well-wrapped tubes next to your recycling cart. Tubes longer than 4 feet will not be collected.
  • Limit: 2 tubes/bulbs per collection, 10 tubes/bulbs per year.

Drop off
Customers may also drop off tubes and bulbs at the nearest Recology Store:

Additionally, LightRecycle Washington is a program that allows individuals and businesses in Washington to recycle up to 10 mercury-containing lights per day for FREE. You can recycle straight and curved fluorescent tubes, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) and High Intensity Discharge Lights (HIDs) at authorized LightRecycle collection sites. Visit LightRecycle.org to find a collection site near you.

SharpsPutting loose sharps into the garbage is a health risk for solid waste workers.  The best ways to dispose of sharps generated in the home is through a local pharmacy, a mail-in program, at your doctor’s office, or at a designated drop-off location.

If the options above are not available, syringes may be disposed of in the garbage if placed in puncture resistant container such as a number two (2) PET pop bottle, with a tight fitting or taped lid and labeled “SHARPS, DO NOT RECYCLE.”  King County information is available at King County Local Hazardous Waste Management Program website or by calling the King County Household Hazards line at 206-296-4692; or by emailing haz.waste@kingcounty.gov.

Contact your local pharmacy and ask about their “sharps” collection services.  Many Bartell Drugs stores offer sharps disposal containers and will dispose of sharps/needles for a fee.  Contact your local Bartell Drugs store for more information.

Purchase a postage paid, mail-in container.  For more information on where to purchase, search for “sharps mail in programs” on your computer, ask your doctor, or contact the following companies:

BioMedical Waste Solutions

GRP & Associates, Inc


Source: King County Local Hazardous Waste Management Program

BatteriesRecology CleanScapes offers free curbside collection of button, alkaline, and rechargeable batteries for Maple Valley single-family & multi-family residential customers.

Single-family Residential Customers

  • Please follow the instructions below to recycle household batteries:
  • Put button and alkaline batteries in a sealed plastic bag and place on top of your recycling cart (not inside).
  • Put rechargeable batteries in a separate sealed plastic bag and place on top of your recycling cart (not inside).
  • Motor vehicle batteries are not accepted for curbside collection. Most battery retailers and auto repair shops accept auto batteries for recycling.

Maple Valley residential customers may also drop off household batteries at The Recology Store in Issaquah.

Apartment and Condominium Customers
Apartment and condominium customers must call or submit a Special Item Recycling Request Form to arrange collection. Service must be requested by the bill payer on record. Please DO NOT set batteries next to carts or containers.


Recology CleanScapes offers free curbside collection of small appliances for Maple Valley single-family & multi-family residential customers.

Single-family Residential Customers
Please follow the instructions below to recycle small appliances:

  • Submit a Special Item Recycling Request to schedule a pick-up
  • Items must be 2’x2’x2’ or smaller and less than 60 lbs
  • Place items on top of your blue recycling cart on your collection day

Small appliances are also accepted at The Recology Store Issaquah.

Apartment and Condominium Customers
Apartment and condominium customers must call or submit a Special Item Recycling Request Form to arrange collection. Service must be requested by the bill payer on record. Please DO NOT set appliances next to carts or containers.

Small appliances are also accepted at The Recology Store Issaquah.

Large Appliances: For larger items, call Recology CleanScapes Customer Service to schedule a pick-up. Fees may apply.

Electronic waste, or e-waste, including computers, monitors, and televisions, are not allowed in the garbage because they contain toxic materials that can be hazardous to human health and the environment. There are several options for safe disposal of these items.

Recology CleanScapes offers free curbside collection of small electronics for single-family & multi-family residential customers.

Single-family Residential Customers
Please follow the instructions below to recycle small electronics:

    • Submit a Special Item Recycling Request Form to schedule a pick-up. 
    • Items must be 2’ x 2’ x 2’ or smaller and weigh less than 60 lbs.
    • Place items in a clear plastic bag and set on top of or next to the recycle cart.

Laptops, tablets, cell phones, desktops, TVs, printers, peripherals, LCD Monitors, CRT Monitors, and hard drives can be dropped off at The Recology Store. Items dropped off at the store are collected by Electronic Recyclers International. ERI is both R2 and e-Steward certified and responsibly recycles or refurbishes all e-waste received. ERI also performs data destruction in accordance with Department of Defense and National Institute of Standard and Technology protocol to ensure 100 percent data destruction.

Apartment and Condominium Customers
Apartment and condominium customers must call or submit a Special Item Recycling Request Form to arrange collection. Service must be requested by the bill payer on record. Please DO NOT set appliances next to carts or containers.

Drop-off Options
Computers, laptops and televisions can be taken to E-Cycle Washington drop-off locations where they are collected for reuse or recycling at no charge. Call 1.800.RECYCLE or visit the E-Cycle Washington website for e-waste disposal locations and information.

The Take It Back Network also provides information on how to dispose of all unwanted electronics.

Bulky Item Collection
Recology CleanScapes offers on-call removal of large items, such as furniture or appliances, for a fee.

To request a pick-up, submit a Bulky Item Request Form, or call 425.413.1555.

  • Items must be placed at the curb.
  • Doors must be removed from refrigerators and freezers.

Fees apply for bulky item collection. Please review applicable fees.

To locate a drop-off location visit King County’s “What Do I Do With?” page.

Recology CleanScapes will collect natural, undecorated, unflocked trees in lengths up to 6 feet from customers who subscribe to every-other-week food & yard waste collection. No special arrangements are necessary; just put your tree curbside on your regular food & yard waste collection day.

Flocked trees are not accepted in food & yard waste collection. The flocking can often contain non-compostable materials including adhesives, flame retardant, or additives to make the flocking glitter and shine. Flocked trees are considered garbage, and are not accepted at tree recycling facilities.

Natural, unflocked, undecorated trees can also be dropped off at the following locations for a fee:

Cedar Grove Composting – Maple Valley
17825 Cedar Grove Rd. SE, Maple Valley

Pacific Topsoils – Maple Valley
21700 SE Lake Francis Rd, Maple Valley

Rainier Wood Recyclers – Covington
27529 Covington Way SE, Covington

Recology CleanScapes offers free curbside collection of dry, clean clothing and household textiles (sheets, towels, table cloths, etc.) from single-family and multi-family residential customers in Maple Valley on an on-call basis. Textiles must:

  • Be placed in clear, tied plastic bags
  • Be set next to your recycling cart on the pre-arranged collection day

To request a textiles collection, please submit a Special Item Recycling Request Form or call Customer Service at 425.413.1555.

Apartment and Condominium Customers
Apartment and condominium customers must call to arrange collection. Service must be requested by the bill payer on record. Please DO NOT set textiles next to carts or containers.

If your items are reusable, please consider donating to a local charity instead.

Maple Valley residential customers may also drop off textiles at the Recology Store Issaquah.

Recology CleanScapes offers Maple Valley single-family and multi-family residential customers free curbside collection of StyrofoamTM block on an on-call basis. Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) blocks, such as picnic coolers and packaging used to protect new appliances and electronic equipment should have all stickers and labels removed, be secured inside clear plastic bags, and placed curbside on the pre-arranged collection day.

To request a Styrofoam™ collection, please submit a Special Recycling Item Request Form or call Customer Service at 425.413.1555.

Please NO:

  • Grey “Insta-Paks”
  • Styrofoam™ packing peanuts

To dispose of Styrofoam™ packing peanuts, bag and place in your garbage cart or drop off at a mailing specialty store for reuse.

Residential customers may also drop off Styrofoam™ blocks at The Recology Store.

Styro Recycle in Kent also accepts Styrofoam™ blocks and packing peanuts for recycling.

Call Customer Service to request collection of clean wood at 425.413.1555.

Shredded paper is no longer accepted in recycling or compost carts. The best method of disposal is to participate in a local shred event. Otherwise, please dispose of shredded paper in your garbage.

You don’t. You take them back next time you go to the dry cleaners. That’s reuse which is even better than recycling. Please do not put wire or plastic hangers in your blue recycling bin; hangers jam equipment at the recycling plant. Recycling bins are for bottles, cans, paper, cardboard, and hard plastics, such as plastic cups and molded plastic packaging.

As of 2020, plastic bags and wrap are no longer accepted in curbside recycling bins. Please check with your local grocery store to see if they offer a take-back program. Many stores have such programs and offer easy drop off near the check-out counter. You can also visit https://www.plasticfilmrecycling.org/ to view a list of drop-off locations.



Maple Valley customers may select from several different garbage container sizes and save money by recycling and composting more.

View Maple Valley rates.

Need a large container? Learn more about drop box services.

Service Alerts and Weather Delays
If extreme weather conditions make it unsafe for our trucks to pick up your garbage, recycling, or food and yard waste, Recology CleanScapes will try to collect materials on the first day that regular service resumes.

At that time, Recology CleanScapes will pick up extra materials equal to what would have been collected on the missed collection day(s) at no charge. Please check the homepage for current collection information during storms.

Holiday Collection Schedule
Recology CleanScapes operates regularly on all holidays except for Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.  If your collection day falls on or after one of these three holidays, your collection will be one day later that week.

For example, if your regularly scheduled collection day falls on Thanksgiving Day, Recology CleanScapes will collect your material on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving.  If your regularly scheduled collection day is Friday, your materials will be collected on Saturday.

To report a missed collection, please call 425.413.1555, send us an email, or use the Missed Collection Form. Please notify Recology CleanScapes within 24 hours of the missed collection. Recology operates during normal business days in the City of Maple Valley so if your collection is missed and reported on a Friday, collection will occur the following Monday.

Please keep in mind:

Set Out Time
Residential materials must be set out by 7am on collection day. Apartments, Condos and Commercial materials must be set out by 5am on collection day.

Material Preparation
If you find a tag on your materials titled “we’re sorry,” please correct the problem indicated. If you are a residential customer and would like us to return and collect the materials before your next collection day, there is a $7.83 return trip charge.

Collection Calendar
If you are uncertain of your collection day, login to your account to view your collection calendar, send us an email, or call 425.413.1555.

To temporarily stop service, call Customer Service at 425.413.1555 or submit a Vacation Hold Form. You will not be billed for stopped collections if the request is made at least one week prior to the affected collection day.


The maximum allowed weight is 14,000 lbs due to safety concerns.  If the debris box weighs more than 14,000 lbs, the container will be off-loaded at the customer’s expense.  Materials such as dirt, concrete, bricks or other heavy materials add tremendous bulk and weight to the container.

View the Debris Boxes and Construction Services page to find container sizes, FAQs, and service brochures.

Use our online form to Request a Debris Box.


Residents who generate minimal garbage, or landfill bound materials be able to save money by reducing their garbage service level. Call your Recology company to see how they can “right size” your service based on material type and volume.


You may sign up for service or change your container size by calling Customer Service at 425.413.1555 or by submitting the appropriate form from the list below:

Modify Service Level
Open a New Account

Taxes on your garbage bill consist of:

Washington State Refuse Tax – 2.92%
These funds are used to provide financial assistance to local governments for repair and maintenance of public works projects.

King County Hazardous Waste Fee

  • $1.04/mo for residential single family homes
  • $1.80/mo for small volume generators (≤ 0.48 cu. yards – cart or can)
  • $14.82/mo for medium volume generators (0.48 to < 10 cu. yds – dumpster)
  • $56.96/mo for large volume generators (≥ 10 cu. yds – roll-off container)

This monthly fee is collected by the Local Hazardous Waste Management Program in King County to fund the Hazardous Wastemobile and the Hazardous Waste Collection facilities at transfer stations throughout the county. You can learn more at hazwastehelp.org.

View Bills Online
You will need your account number and the phone number on your account to register.  This information is provided in the service guide you receive in December, or you can call customer service.

Click the login button at the top of any page.  You can use your Recology CleanScapes account to:

  • View your invoices
  • Pay your bill with a credit card, debit card or e-Check
  • Access your collection calendar

If you do not already have an online account, you’ll need to create an account first by using the New Account Form:

Des Moines
Maple Valley

Create Account
You can create a Recology CleanScapes online account to view electronic invoices, make electronic payments, and view your account information and pickup schedule. To create an online account, you will need your Recology CleanScapes customer account number and the phone number Recology CleanScapes has on file for your account. This information can be found on a past invoice or by calling customer service at 425.413.1555.

Once you have this information, follow these simple steps to set up your online account:

1. Click “Login” at the top of this page.

2. Select “Login: City of Maple Valley customers.”

3. Register your account:
If you have not registered for a username and password, click on “Click here to register.” Fill in your information and at the bottom of the registration form, enter the phone number associated with your account. If you need to update the phone number, call 425.413.1555. When you have completed the form, click “Register.”

4. Check your email:
An email containing a link to confirm registration will be sent to your email address. Follow the instructions in the email to confirm your registration.

5. Login:
You can now return to the login page and use your newly registered username and password to login to your account.

Payment Options

Pay by e-Check or credit card online or by phone

Call 425.358.6526 or visit our online payment center to pay with a check or with a credit/debit card. Payments made by e-Check are not subject to a fee. You will be asked to provide the following account information, which is indicated on your invoice: Recology customer number, invoice number, method of payment and payment amount. Your transaction will be securely processed.

Pay by automatic deduction

Automatic payment makes paying your bill easy. Each billing period you will receive your bill via regular mail or, if you receive e-Billing, you will receive an email notification that your bill is ready to be viewed (see Billing Options, below). Your bill will be paid by automatic deduction from your bank account on the 20th of the month or the first business day following the 20th.

To sign up for this service, download and submit the request for automatic deduction payment form. You can also register for automatic deduction in the “Automatic Payment” tab of your online Recology account. Requests received by the 20th of the month will take effect on your next bill.

Pay by check

Mail your check and invoice payment stub to:
Recology CleanScapes
P.O. Box 34260
Seattle, WA 98124-1260

Recology accepts checks made payable to “CleanScapes” or “Recology CleanScapes.” Processing of payments mailed to any other address will be delayed. By sending a check as payment, you authorize Recology to use information on your check to make a one-time electronic debit from your account at the financial institution on your check. This electronic debit for the amount of your check may be withdrawn from your account as early as the same day we receive your check. For further information about this check conversion process, please visit www.electronicpayments.org or call our Customer Service at 425.413.1555.

Billing Options

    • You can receive your bill through regular mail or you can sign up for paperless billing.
    • If you sign up for paperless billing, you will be notified via email that your invoice is ready for payment. The email will contain a link to your Recology account where you can view your bill and pay online using an e-Check or credit card.
    • To sign up for paperless billing, download and submit the request for paperless billing form.

Additional Information About Your Account

Past Due Accounts: An account is past due if payment is not posted by the end of the billing period. Payments received on weekends and holidays will be posted on the next business day. A 1% finance charge per month will be applied to any past due amount. Failure to pay invoices by the specified due date can result in the suspension or cancellation of services and the submission of your account to an external collection agency. Recology reserves the right to remove containers if service is suspended for non-payment. There is a $20 container redelivery fee to resume service. In order to resume services on a delinquent account, all charges must be paid in full. You may be required to make a prepayment.

Returned Payments:  If a payment is rejected due to incorrect information or insufficient funds, you will be charged a returned payment fee of $20.

Property Owners: Property owners and tenants are both equally responsible for timely notification of changes in occupancy and/or property ownership. The property owner is ultimately responsible for these charges unless he or she notifies Recology of a change in occupancy within ten (10) days of a tenant’s move-out date.

Billing Disputes: If you have questions and/or disputes about your bill or service, please call Recology Customer Service at 425.413.1555 to speak with a representative.

Taxes and Surcharges: Your Recology CleanScapes bill includes all required taxes and surcharges.

Other Questions: For questions or comments about your service, please email us at maplevalley@recology.com or call Customer Service at 425.413.1555.